Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Letter #11

Dear Loreli, Today is a day that I will hold in my memory for the rest of my life. Today is election day and this is a monumental election. Today you held my hand as we walked into the Shelby Town Hall, you sat on my lap with my ballot and helped me vote. Today I voted not just for who will sit in office as president, I voted for your future. Today I voted for your rights. I included you in this event even at your young age because I feel that it is important to always be open and honest with you and to take every opportunity to educate you. I pray that in raising you and your sisters that you become strong and open-minded women. Today I fought so that when the day comes that you and your sisters find your life partner, it won't matter what gender that person is and if that person happens to be of the same sex, you will be able to marry that person without fighting or hiding. Today I fought so that when you grow up, you and only you may make the decision with what to do with your body. Today I fought for many different things but these are the issues I push for with your future in mind. With my vote today, I fought for you. If there is anything I want to teach you it is to always be proud of who you are. Don't ever allow another human being belittle your opinion or your feelings. Years from now you won't remember this day or what you helped me do, but if I do my job correctly as your mother, you will know that your voice and your vote counts. Love you always and forever, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment